2021 McLaren 765LT First Drive Review: Furiously Fast
McLaren hopes you know by now that the Longtail name shouldn’t be taken too literally, it’s more of an ethos. But still, the Longtail is actually longer than a 720S by 10mm at the rear thanks to a new active rear spoiler that has 20% extra surface area and a front splitter that protrudes by an additional 40mm. The rest of the revised aero package includes the front bumper, underfloor, side skirts, and a rear diffuser, all in carbon fiber.
The benefit is sharper visuals, but also a 25% boost in downforce, though McLaren doesn’t quote exactly what that translates to numerically. It’s certainly nowhere near the immense 1,764 lbs claimed by the Senna at 155 mph, but there’s no question which car is easier on the eye when parked in the pits – the 765LT is a stunner.
The bodywork contributes significantly to weight saving, with components including lighter wheels (-49 lbs), new carbon fiber parts (-32 lbs), and lighter glazing and a polycarbonate rear screen (-13 lbs). Other than the carbon bits, most of the body is aluminum, but McLaren’s MSO department has already produced one car with a full carbon body.
- Snap Gets Upgrade, Other Internet Stocks Boosted By Analyst Comparing Them To Software Firms
- 730-HP Audi RS6-R Has A Supercar Price Tag
- Bay Area Glass Fire Breaks Out With “Dangerous Rate Of Spread”; L.A.’s Bobcat Fire Crews Monitor Containment
- Volkswagen And Tesla ‘Need Each Other,’ VW Says
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus Announces ‘Veep’ Virtual Reunion As Biden-Harris Benefit