The study of the numbers and its related meaning in the Bible scripture to that of the God’s parables, allegories, and stories is generally called as Bible numerology. It considers both primary and emblematic understanding of the numbers which keeps recurring. When we consider both the Greek and the Hebrew numerology with the Bible numerology we should know that the later has both numbers and letters for our script whereas the former ones have only letters. Though the Greeks and the Hebrews don’t have numbers but still they can have a numeric value to each letter or each word calculated by the gematria method of numerology.
Let us consider the word “iasous” which means Jesus in Greek. As gematria assigns a numeric equivalent to each letter, the word “iasous” is assigned the following where i = 10 a = 8 s = 200 o = 70 u = 400 s = 200 The number 40 is very much significant in the Bible for about 40 days Jesus was in the desert and for 40 years the Israelites aimlessly wandered in the desert and the days in between Jesus’ resurrection and his ascension was exactly 40 (Acts 1:3).Similarly the number 7 is also said to be very important in the Bible for it is God’s number ( Genesis 7:2-4; Revelation 1:20; 4:5; 5:1, 5:6).So each number is said to have some relation with the Bible.
Daniel and Revelation which are supposed to be a good predictive books or part of the Bible teach a system of numerology which is tough and related to each other showing some definite pattern. Thus Bible numerology is said to deal with the meaning if each number in the Holy book, Bible.Just like other distant past religions and set of theories and philosophies which events associated with numbers, the Biblical numerology also talks about the belief of the Judeo-Christian in the numbers with the bible. Though the cogency of the bible numerology is still being argued about in different parts of the word for the fact some people try to give too much of importance to the numbers and finding a meaning which has no association thus making no sense.
The basic meaning behind this number is that it means unity, onset and supreme power. Deuteronomy 6:4 says The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Ephesians 4:5 says “one Lord, one faith, one baptism.”
The number 2 according to the Bible denotes differences, quality of being sharp and clear, testimony and it is the number of divison.It denotes the choice one has to make from two selection of dual choices will end up in evil. There are examples like –
– 2 natures of the son: human and divine
– 2 testaments which is the old and new
– 2 vessels one used for honorable purpose and the other used for dishonorable purpose ( Rom 9)
– 2 types of people, sheep and goats
– 2 ages the present and the future (Matt. 12:32; 13:39, 40, 49; Mark 10:30.)
– 2 cherubim guarded the Ark of the Covenant (Exodus 25:22).
The understanding of the number 3 says it is true, full, considerable and spiritual completion.
– 3 number of persons in the Trinity (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit)
– 3 Jewish Tradition had three big feasts (Exod 23:14-19)
– 3 many important happenings took place on the third day (Hosea 6:2).
– 3 days and 3 nights was spent by Jonah inside the stomach of the fish (Matthew 12:40).
– 3 times a day prayers were recommended (Dan 6:10 and Ps 55:17)
– 3 years was the period for Jesus earthly ministry (Luke 13:7).
The number 4 talks about the creation, physical kingdom, reasoning and divine understanding.
– 4 in the book of Revelation denote the world.
– 4 corners and the seasons of the earth (North, South, East, West / winter, spring, summer, fall)
– 4 reference of the earth in the 4th commandment
– 4 earthly kingdoms (Daniel 7:3).
– 4 corners and 4 pillars in the construction of the altar (Exo 27:1-8 and Exo 27:16)
– 4 types of soil in the parable (Matthew 13)
This number is known as the number of spiritual refinement, apprehension, salvation and mediation.
– 5 Jesus Christ had five wounds
– 5 our body has 5 senses.
– 5 stones where used by David to fight Goliath (1 Sam. 17:40)
– 5 Holy Anointing Oil was pure and composed of 5 parts (Ex. 30:23-25).
– 5 Levitical offerings (Leviticus 1-5).
– 5 loaves of barely to feed nearly 5,000 people (Matthew 14:17).
The number 6 is known as the number of Man who is against God. It indicates imperfection.
– 6 as Man were created on the 6th day.
– 6 serpent was created on the 6th day.
– 6 th commandment is “Thou shalt not murder.”
– 6 denotes flaws and wickedness
– 6 man is referred by six other names: Adam, ish, Enosh, gehver, anthropos, anar.
– 6 666 is known as the taunt of Trinity and is also the number of the antichrist and the beast.
Number 7 is the number of divine or spiritual completion.
– 7 churches, 7 bowls, 7 seals, 7 trumpets, and 7 spirits (Book of Revelation)
– 7 this number maintains the time of gestation.
– 7 th day is the day of rest for God after finishing with the creation (Genesis 2:2)
– 7 silver is purified in the fire for seven times and this is as pure as God’s word. (Psalm 12:6).
– 7 is the number of demons which went out of Mary Magdalene, symbolizing total deliverance (Luke 8:2).
– 7 a week has 7 days. Jesus Christ rejected 7 seals, 7 sacraments, 7 deadly sins and 7 devils.
– 7 colours in the spectrum
– 7 Hebrew has 7 eternals: A priest for ever (1:6); Eternal salvation (1:9); Eternal judgment (6:2); eternal redemption (9:12); eternal spirit (9:14); eternal inheritance (9:15); and everlasting covenant (13:20).
– 7 the number of things told by Jesus when he was crucified in the cross.
The number 8 denotes the new origin and is also considered to be the symbol of success, complexity and progress.
– 8 Noah’s ark had 8 people (2 Pet. 2:5)
– 8 th day is the day for circumcision (Gen. 17:12)
– 8 covenants were made with Abraham by God
– 8 Re-generation
– 8 people survived the flood (Genesis 7:13, 23).
This is the number of accomplishment and execution. This also denotes the recapitulation of a person’s work, end of matter and the last of the integers.
– 9 judgment is synonym with 9 other Greek words.
– 9 the spirit has nine fruits which are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control (Galatians 5:22-23).
This number is known to be as the number of spiritual completion and perfection of command.
– 10 commandments (Ex. 20)
– 10 plagues on Egypt (Ex. 9:14ff)
– 10 x 10 silver sockets formed the foundation of the Tabernacle (Ex 38:27)
– 10 Jesus told ten times “I AM”‘
– 10 northern kingdom was made by ten tribes (1 Kings 11:31-35).
This denotes the spiritual ministry.
– 12 tribes of Israel (Revelation 7)
– 12 apostles (Matthew 10:2-4)
– 12 Jerusalem had 12 foundations with 12 gates; 12 pearls; 12 angels
This number denotes grief and sadness.
– 30 Aaron’s death was mourned for 30 days (Numbers 20:29).
– 30 Moses’ death was mourned for 30 days (Deuteronomy 34:8).
This is the number of evaluation and trials.
– 40 it rained continuously for 40 days during the flood. (Genesis 7:4)
– 40 the people of Israel wandered for nearly 40 days in the desert. (Numbers 14:33).
– 40 the days in between Jesus’ resurrection and his ascension was exactly 40 (Acts 1:3).
– 40 Moses was on the mountain for forty days and forty nights.
The number 50 signifies feast, festivity and ceremonial occasions.
– 50 fifty days after Passover the Pentecost feast were celebrated. (Leviticus 23:15-16)
This number is related with judgment and deputation of human.
– 70 Moses fixed seventy elders. (Numbers 11:16)
– 70 Israel was i