French & Lace Fishtail High Bun
For today’s tutorial I’m excited to be sharing this French & Lace Fishtail High Bun
I recently posted a picture of this hairstyle on instagram and so many of you asked for a tutorial! If you don’t get it right the first time, don’t give up! This one takes a bit of practice! It even took me a few different tries to get it just right.
I hope you enjoy the video and thank you so much for watching! xoxo, Missy
French & Lace Fishtail High Bun Supplies:
- Rattail comb
- 2 Hair sectioning clips
- Bobby pins
- Mesh donut
- Medium-hold hairspray
French & Lace Fishtail High Bun Instructions:
- Step 1 / Begin by dividing out a section of hair at the top of the head. Create two parallel part lines at the corners of the forehead and clip down the bottom hair.
- Step 2 / Now pick up a section of hair near the hairline and divide it into three smaller pieces for the french braid.
- Step 3 / Braid this top section of hair into a french braid by crossing the side strands over the middle strand while incorporating new sections into the braid.
- Step 4 / Once the braid reaches the crown, stop adding in new hair and braid the section to the end in a regular three strand braid.
- Step 5 / Slide two bobby pins over the bottom of the braid so it doesn’t unravel.
- Step 6 / Take the rest of the hair, tie it up into a high ponytail, and unravel the end of the braid.
- Step 7 / Now divide out a small section of hair from the ponytail and then take a mesh donut and pull the rest of the ponytail through the center.
- Step 8 / Take a small section of hair from the ponytail and with the bottom section left out, begin a fishtail braid.
- Step 9 / Take a small section from the top section and crossing it over and into the bottom section.
- Step 10 / Then take a small piece from the bottom section, cross it up to the top section and add it in.
- Step 11 / Now take a small piece from the top, cross it over to the bottom, then pick up a new section of hair from the ponytail and cross it over and into the bottom section.
- Step 12 / Then cross a small section from the bottom over and into the top section.
- Step 13 / Now just repeat those steps creating a fishtail braid around the mesh donut until all of the hair from the ponytail is incorporated into the braid.
- Step 14 / Once all of the hair from the ponytail is brought into the braid simply braid the rest of the section to the ends in a regular fishtail braid.
- Step 15 / Now wrap the braid around the bun, tucking it underneath, and then secure it in place with bobby pins.
- A few tips to keep in mind when creating this bun is to bring in sections that are a medium-thickness. If they’re too small then you’ll see the mesh donut through the sections and if they’re too large then you won’t have enough hair to braid all the way around the bun.
- Another tip is to keep the braid fairly tight when working around the bun because this will help the bun maintain it’s share and it’s always easier to loosen the braid rather than try and tighten it up after it’s finished.