In Parting Shot at Hillary Clinton, Obama Says He’s ‘Confident’ He Could Have Won a Third Term
President Obama, who defeated Hillary Clinton in 2008 by promising to bring “Hope and Change” to America, thinks he could have won a third term if he was eligible to run again, and the Democratic Party wasn’t forced to settle for Hillary.
In a podcast interview with his former campaign and White House adviser, David Axelrod, the outgoing president said Donald Trump’s victory over Hillary Clinton in this year’s presidential election does not reflect poorly on his two terms in office, nor does it suggest that “Hope and Change” was a “fantasy.”
Obama told Axelrod that his presidency really did shift the culture in the United States. “The majority does buy into the notion of a one America that is tolerant and diverse and open and full of energy and dynamism,” he said. “The problem is, it doesn’t always manifest itself in politics.”
In other words, the 2016 election should not be considered a referendum on his presidency and the policies enacted under his administration.
“You know, I am confident in this vision because I’m confident that if I had run again and articulated it, I think I could’ve mobilized a majority of the American people to rally behind it,” Obama said. “I know that in conversations that I’ve had with people around the country, even some people who disagreed with me, they would say the vision, the direction that you point towards is the right one.”
It would seem to be a not-so-subtle dig at Hillary Clinton, who has now lost as many presidential elections as Obama has won. Still, the president did offer some generic praise during another portion of the interview, and blamed the press for covering Hillary too harshly.
“Look, you know, I think that Hillary Clinton performed wonderfully under really tough circumstances,” Obama said. “I think there was a double standard with her. For whatever reason, there’s been a longstanding difficulty in her relationship with the press that meant her flaws were wildly amplified.”
TAKE THE QUIZ
- Drexel Professor Wishing ‘White Genocide’ Claims ‘Reverse-Racism’ Is a Myth, Wants to Abolish Police
- European Social Justice Innocents March to Syria to End the Conflict
- Politico Tricked Into ‘Scoop’ on Republican Governor Gushing About Obamacare
- Check Out The Coolest Features Of The 2022 GMC Hummer
- Donald Trump Cuts Short ‘60 Minutes’ Appearance, Tweets Video To Mask-Shame Lesley Stahl
- The First Conservation Efforts Protected… Poop?!
- Details Of SSC Tuatara’s Baby Brother Come To Light
- Peter Farrelly Makes the Case For ‘Loudermilk’, Teases Season 3 & Beyond As 2 Former Audience Series Seek New Homes