Kevin Meaney: 5 Things To Know About The Beloved Stand Up Comedian
How tragic! The comedy world is mourning the passing of legendary standup Kevin Meaney, who passed away suddenly Oct. 21 at age 60. While you may not know his name, you definitely know his work so keep reading for five things to know about Kevin.
1. Kevin was a fixture on late night TV.
After appearing in his first comedy special on HBO in 1986, he was snapped up to do appearances on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. He then went on to appear on the likes of The Late Show with David Letterman and Late Night with Conan O’Brien.
2. Kevin was married twice but divorced only once.
When he was 39 he married a woman he had just met in Las Vegas on a lark. That ended up being quickly annulled, though he wrote a one man play in 1996 about the experience. He later married TV exec Mary Ann Halford and they had one daughter together before splitting up.
Click for pics of the saddest celebrity deaths of 2016
3. Kevin came out publicly as gay in 2008.
In May of that year on XM Radio’s Stand Up Sit Down show, Kevin revealed that he was gay. He said that his time working in the Broadway theater world have him the courage to accept who he was and live his life to his true self. He spent seven years in the mid 2000’s working there on the musical Hairspray.
4. Kevin was hilarious right up until the very end.
His final tweet was about the final presidential debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump on Oct 19. He wrote, “Some last minute advice for Hillary: Light your hair on fire! Be crazy and tell him “he’s fired” Hit him in the face with a pie!” Oh how we’re going to miss his sense of humor as the election nears!
5. Kevin was beloved in the comedy world.
Upon the news of his untimely passing at age 60, tributes poured in on Twitter from the likes of Steve Carell, Rosie O’Donnell and Judd Apatow, who said of him that, “Kevin Meaney was as funny as they get and the nicest man. He could make you lose your mind laughing. A very special person.”
Our thoughts are with Kevin’s family, friends and fans during this sad time.
- Exquisite Ferrari 250 GT Declared Finest Classic On Earth
- ‘What If…?’ Director Bryan Andrews On Creating The Evil Doctor Strange And How The Next Seasons Will Be “A Little Bit Wilder”
- The Dog Poop Bags And Dispensers That Pet Parents Use
- Laser Archaeology: Revealing the Amazon’s Urban Jungle
- 2023 Corvette Z06 Will Be Hit With Gas Guzzler Tax